In effort to reduce stormwater pollution, and improve local water quality, Warwick Township must develop, implement, and enforce a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP). This task is required by the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit, issued through the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) & the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA). The NPDES permit regulates stormwater discharges from the Township’s municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4): a series of inlets, pipes, swales, outfalls, and other drainage facilities that collect, convey, and discharge stormwater directly into our streams.
As part of the NPDES permit requirements, Warwick Township must implement best management practices (BMPs) in the six categories listed below and commonly referred to as minimum control measures (MCMs).
MCM 1: Public Education & Outreach
MCM 2: Public Participation & Involvement
MCM 3: Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination
MCM 4: Construction Site Runoff Control
MCM 5: Post Construction Stormwater Management
MCM 6: Pollution Prevention & Good Housekeeping
Warwick Township in conjunction with PA Department of Environmental Protection is making the brochure "When it Rains, It Drains" available for download on its website. This brochure explains stormwater runoff, and what you can do to improve the water quality in our area.
The following agency links provide additional stormwater information:
- PA Department of Environmental Protection "Stormwater Management" webpage.
- US Environmental Protection Agency's "Stormwater Program" webpage.
- US Environmental Protection Agency's publication "Using Smart Growth Techniques as Stormwater Best Management Practices"
- Lancaster County Conservation Publication "The Homeowner's Guide to Stormwater"
Warwick Township Stormwater Information:
- 2016 MS4 Activities End of Year Report
- Warwick Township bio-basin
- Backyard Conservation Booklet
- Water Quality Map
- Critical Aquifer Recharge Areas Map
- Lititz Run and Tributaries
- Pervious Concrete Article
- Northern Lancaster County Groundwater Study
- Lancaster County Strategic Water Resource Plan Update
- Illicit Discharge Complaint Form
- 2017 Regional Transportation Projects
- Bonded Roadways
- Drinking Water from Household Wells
- Emergency Preparedness
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Information
- On-Lot Septic System Information
- Smoke Detector Program
- Snow Removal Guidelines
- Stormwater Information
- Street Dedication Policy
- Warwick Township Revised Stormwater Management Regulations
- Why does the Township use chip seal on the roads?