In 1729, Lancaster County, named after the English Shire (county) of Lancaster, became the fourth division of Pennsylvania, and seventeen townships of Lancaster County were created. Warwick Township was the eleventh township formed of the original seventeen townships of the county.
Warwick Township originally included the Townships of Warwick, Elizabeth, Clay and as well as the Borough of Lititz.
Richard Carter was the first settler in the area. He settled near the mouth of the Conestoga River in 1716. Carter was born in Warwickshire, England, and is given credit for naming the municipality Warwick.
All of the existing villages in Warwick Township had early beginnings as small settlements. Brief descriptions are presented.
Brunnerville - The village was formed in the 1820's and catered to teamsters on their route to Philadelphia. The name of the area was originally Whitehall, but in 1861 it was officially changed to Brunnerville in honor of the Brunner family who started a foundry and wagon shop.
Millway - George Eby started a gristmill in the area in 1733; the settlement later became a railroad town and an oil distributing center.
Millport - Christian Kauffman laid out lots for this village in 1813.
Rothsville - This village was named for the Roth family. The earliest settlement can be traced to Phillip Roth who built a tavern there in 1790.
Lititz and Kissel Hill - Lititz was a Moravian church settlement that was begun in 1754 and laid out in 1757. Count Zinzendorg named the area Lititz. The Moravians are famous for their early education, religious and music achievements. Kissel Hill is named after Nicolaus Kissel who first settled the area in 1762.