Warwick Township - Background on the New Logo
Warwick Township – Background on the New Logo
(logo design by Kim Kane Graphic Design Studio)
You may be wondering why a mill was chosen as the new logo for Warwick Township. A very important facet of the economy in the Township at least as early as the 1740’s, and continuing into the early years of this century, was the prevalence of mills. These mills may be regarded as the direct product of the presence of streams, the richness of the land, and easy access to trade routes. These mills had a variety of products including grist, flour, hemp, oil, and corn meal. There was also a cooperage mill and saw mill. The mills in the area were a big part in the success of the industrial and agricultural related businesses in Warwick Township. Click here for more details and pictures of the mills in Warwick Township (source of information and photos is http://millpictures.com; from this website you can access additional photos and details about each mill; simply enter the name of the mill in the top right corner, and click the mill name in the box that opens).
Warwick Township History –
Warwick Township was the eleventh Township formed of the original seventeen Townships of Lancaster County. Organization of the seventeen original Townships took place on June 9, 1729, when magistrates met at the tavern of John Postlewaite near the Conestoga River in Conestoga Township. Warwick Township originally included the Townships of Warwick, Elizabeth, Clay, and Penn, as well as the Borough of Lititz.
Richard Carter was the first settler in the area; he settled near the mouth of the Conestoga River in about 1716. Carter was born in Warwickshire, England, and is given credit for naming the municipality Warwick.
In 1757, Elizabeth Township was formed from Warwick and in 1853 Clay Township was formed from Elizabeth. Penn Township was formed from Warwick in 1846 and in 1888 Lititz became a Borough.
Early German settlers attracted by the fertile soils came into the area between 1720 and 1740. Descendants of the old original German families can still be found throughout the Warwick area.
All of the existing villages in Warwick Township had early beginnings as small settlements. Brief sketches of each will be presented.
Brunnerville – The village was formed in the 1820’s and catered to teamsters on their route to Philadelphia. The name of the area was originally Whitehall, but in 1861 it was officially changed to Brunnerville in honor of the Brunner family who started the foundry and wagon shop.
Millway – George Eby started a grist mill in the area in 1733; the settlement later became a railroad town and an oil distributing center.
Millport – Christian Kauffman laid out lots for this village in 1813.
Rothsville – This village was named for the Roth family. The earliest settlement can be traced to Phillip Roth who built a tavern there in about 1790.
Lititz & Kissel Hill – Lititz was a Moravian church settlement that was begun in 1754 and laid out in 1757. Count Zinzendorf named the area Lititz. The Moravians are famous for their early education, religious, and music achievements. Kissel Hill is named after Nicolaus Kissel who first settled the area in 1762.